Morning Banana Diet Community  

Go Back   Morning Banana Diet Community > The Morning Banana Diet > How to Do the Morning Banana Diet

Old October 18th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Green Banana

Default Substitution for bananas?

I was just wondering if anyone knows what other fruits can be substituted for bananas. I am very interested in starting the diet this weekend and I read that some other fruits can be used, but I can't find them listed anywhere. I am not the biggest banana fan so this is going to be a challenge to do bananas every single morning. Just wanted to see what my other options might be. Thanks.
Old October 18th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Brown Banana

Hi there, Endangered. The book by Hamachi does allow other fruit to be substituted. He seems to think bananas are best because of some sort of enzyme effect, but he says bananas are not required. Banana (until recently!) were the cheapest fruit in Japan, and they don't require dishes or cooking or cleanup, so that's a lot of the reason they were chosen, I think.

Personally I think his enzyme explanation is hooey, and that any fruit would work as long as it's filling and fiber-filled. I'd say give it a try and see how it works, and report back on which fruit you used so others can gain from your experience.
Old October 20th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Green Banana

Default Some High Fiber Fruit Options

Hello, Mango and thanks so much for the response. I am starting tomorrow and I think I will alternate between bananas, pears, and kiwis with some occasional dates, blueberries, blackberries. I think the Kiwi might be the closest thing to a banana in nutrients from what I can see, but a lot more messy.

We will see how it goes and I will definitely report back.
One thing I won't be able to stick to though... the warm water as I drink it polar ice cold so I am going to compromise and only add a bit of ice. Hopefully the whole water thing isn't a real issue since givng up all ice would be hard, but I can do just water as I already do that pretty much. I had read before that eating ice actually helps speed up the metabolism (part of why snow must be thawed when stranded in freezing temps). I always figured my ice was part of what helped me not suffered more weight gain from my no breakfast terrible eating. ; ) We will see.

EB

For all those interest, here are some links I found below.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hig...-foods/NU00582

http://www.thefruitpages.com/contents.shtml

http://www.healthalternatives2000.co...ion-chart.html
Old October 20th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Brown Banana

I just took a look at Hamachi's book, and he mentions mikans (Japanese tangerines) and apples as possible substitutes, but not in a context that implies that they are the only ones.

He does say to only eat one type of fruit, although I think he's saying per meal. He says that this is because a single type of fruit is "easier to digest," whatever that means, and because there may be some food combinations that have negative effects on your weight loss. This last point is related to a concept that is popular in Japan, and maybe is known in the U.S. also, that "food combinations" have certain effects that the foods separately don't. Isn't this something that Suzanne Somers is into? At any rate, some Japanese believe if you eat X good food with Y bad food, it kind of cancels out the bad food, like cabbage with tonkatsu deep-fried breaded pork cutlets. This sounds kind of nutty to me though. If you want to just go ahead and try combining the fruits in one meal, let us know how it goes.
Old October 20th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Green Banana

Thank for looking, Mango. I was thinking separate meals anyway because I am not used to eating in the morning and stomaching more than one flavor won't be too fun. I just was going to alternate days so I don't get too bored or sick from making myself eat bananas.lol Apples sounded like a good choice, but I just can't do them without my stomach growling and complaining at me so off the list for now for me. Trying to avoid tangerines and oranges since some other health issues with acid so think I have my game plan for now.

I had read that online about the contrast between foods and I can see where in some situations that would be true(some vitamins can cancel each other out). It is also more vitamins for the body to sort out perhaps. I don't have enough nutrition knowledge to know when and with what foods there maybe issues though so I'll keep my fruits apart. I'll post back in a couple weeks with results. Thanks for the info again.

EB
Old October 20th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Green Banana

Send a message via AIM to kaufjj

Orange you glad I'm not a banana.
I have afeeling I will feel that way in a few weeks.
I will have to figure a technique to buy bananas by ripening timing in the future. How about Plantain chips like we eat down in south florida.
John
Old October 21st, 2008, 07:09 AM
Brown Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufjj View Post
Orange you glad I'm not a banana.
A Florida joke? Love it!
Old November 25th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Yellow Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endangeredbananas View Post
I was just wondering if anyone knows what other fruits can be substituted for bananas. I am very interested in starting the diet this weekend and I read that some other fruits can be used, but I can't find them listed anywhere. I am not the biggest banana fan so this is going to be a challenge to do bananas every single morning. Just wanted to see what my other options might be. Thanks.
There are many fruits who can replace the bananas, but the bananas are the best so I see no point in changing them for anything...

Use fruits that will fill you up fast ^^